Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Casserole In Cake Form

I made this cake for my boss' birthday last month. She kept eyeing the sweet potato cupcakes that are in Martha's Cupcake book, but she's not a fan of cupcakes. So I took my Cinderella Pumpkin Cake and substituted the canned pumpkin for canned mashed sweet potatoes. Then I added marshmallows, pecans and a sprinkle of brown sugar, then TORCHED it!

My husband bought this butane torch for me. I've been wanting one for a while but I have a hard time buying myself anything because I always convince myself that I don't need it. We picked this one out together at Home Depot along with a butane canister. Much cheaper than if purchased from a kitchen store and just as effective. I was worried about the butane not being food safe, but I called Williams-Sonoma and Sur La Table and they both recommended the Butane cartridge from the home improvement store.

I was scared to torch the marshmallows at first but it was so much fun. Even Mr. H wanted in on the action! This cake was moist and spicy and tasted like a sweet potato casserole. It was like Thanksgiving in your mouth. From the one recipe, I was able to make an 8-inch cake as well as 6 mini bundts. You could also bake this in a large bundt or tube pan and top it with a marshmallow sauce, mmm! My boss says this is her favorite cake I have made to date and she tells me every other day :-)

Sweet Potato Cake from Monica H
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 c. vegetable oil
  • 2 c. flour
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1-15 oz. can mashed sweet potatoes or 2 cups baked and pureed sweet potatoes
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • mini marshmallows, brown sugar, chopped pecans for topping

Beat sugar and eggs til well blended and light in color. Add oil, continuing to beat. Combine dry ingredients to egg mixture. Add sweet potatoes, mix well. Pour into greased 9" bundt pan or 2 9-inch pans.

Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes (for bundt, less for the 9-inch pans). Let stand in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto baking rack or platter and allow to cool completely.

Top with mini marshmallows, a sprinkling of brown sugar and chopped pecans. Toast marshmallows with a kitchen torch or place cake on a cookie sheet and place under a low broiler for a minute or so until golden. Or drizzle with a simple glaze.

Whether you make this cake with sweet potatoes and top it with marshmallows and nuts or make it with pumpkin and a cream cheese frosting in bundt form, this cake is moist and delicious and would be perfect at Thanksgiving.

29 comments:

Katie said...

Wow the cake looks fab! Love the toasty gooey topping. The cake looks wonderfully moist and so scrummy

Coleens Recipes said...

What fun!!! This would fantastic for ANY special occassion and I love that it has something for everyone!!!

Selba said...

Whoaaa.. torching the marshmallow sounds fun :) A great idea for decorating a cake!

Donna-FFW said...

Love the way you wrote TORCHED in uppercase..It must have been fun!!

Thanksgiving in your mouth.. perfect way to describe such a delicious cake!! Looks gorgeous!

cookies and cups said...

This looks really yummy ~ BUT I have a question...your boss doesn't like cupcakes? WHA????? That might be the craziest thing I have heard in a long time, like not liking puppies, or kittens! Crazy lady got lucky having you work for her!

Foodiewife said...

Brilliant, Monica! You should enter this in Bon Apetites's online contest for holiday them desserts.
It's amazing and I'd definitely love this one.

Maria said...

Very cool cake!

Smitten Sugar said...

How pretty! I bought the torch a few months back but have been a little nervous to use it! Looks like you had fun with it!

Confections Of A Bake-A-Holic said...

You are so clever and creative! yummy!

vanillasugarblog said...

you're a good egg to want to make a cake for your boss--never met anyone to do that LOL
how I would love to add a torch to my kitchen collection: creme brulee everynight!

Lissaloo said...

It sounds delish! I am revising my Thanksgiving menu to include this, it sounds perfect! Do you think I can have it qualify as my sweet potato side dish? lol :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

LOVE it! It sounds good and looks great!

The one time I used my kitchen torch Joe did it first because I was chicken but then I had to practically beat him over the head to let me try. I need to torch something! :)
~ingrid

oneordinaryday said...

Definitely sounds like Thanksgiving. I love the browned marshmallows...

Are you holding out on us with this marshmallow sauce you mentioned?

Debbie said...

That looks like a great cake Monica! Love the torch effect!!! Great idea with the marshmallows!

Brandy L said...

Yummy! That looks so good, i think i'll have to try it.

Sue said...

This looks delicious and unusual. Thanks for the great idea!

Sue

Janet said...

So beautiful!

You are not going to believe this... But I had a dream last night about finding a bundt cake server. It was shaped like a bundt cake wedge and I HAD TO HAVE IT! Unfortunately, there was already someone buying it so I got upset and began plotting how to steal it away from her at the register so I could buy it instead. Well, my problem was solved with the store was robbed and the girl ran out without any of her purchases. So I got my bundt-shaped cake server.

What do you think all that means?

Love to you!

Sherry G said...

Wow I love the pictures, like the one where the marshmallows are on fire haha. Definitely a great idea since she doesn't like cupcakes. I also love the side shot of the slice of cake.

Laurie said...

Hi Monica, O would love to try this! My teenage boys would go crazy over it!!

Umm, hello? I have to say this ...how could anybody NOT like cupcakes??? It's the same thing as when someone told me recently they didn't like cinnamon!!!!!

WHAT???????

Love your beautiful and delicious blog!

http://youmusttakeyourchance.blogspot.com/

Pink Little Cake said...

Super cute idea, it looks delicious!

tamilyn said...

Did you have fun at the wedding?

A job I used to have involved using a torch and alcohol. Yes, flaming alcohol-it was fun!

It toasts the marshmallows perfectly :)

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love toasted marshmallows - what a great idea for a cake topping!

Joy Tilton said...

Hi Monica, I blogged about you today! Come on over to GrannyMountain when you have time...joy c.

Velva said...

OMG! That cake looks fabulous! That is totally impressive.

Julie Harward said...

I second of looking through your blog and I love you! I'm a new follower my dear..I have a sweet tooth and this all looks so divine to me. I make at least 20 bundt cakes for friends at Christmas time so I loved these on this blog! Come say hi will you? :D

Kerstin said...

Oh wow, I LOVE it! So perfect for fall/Thanksgiving and you get to use a torch, how fun!

Andi said...

Wow, those photos make me want to lick the monitor! Found you through Laurie at http://youmusttakeyourchance.blogspot.com/

Heather S-G said...

Okay, you're killin' me here. I want every single thing I see you've made lately (what's new, though)!! Why can't I just live close so that I can help be a taste tester!? Another one for the list...this is absolutely brilliant!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts with Thumbnails